|City of Montgomery|
|SCORE||Alabama Capitol SCORE|
Montgomery is the capital, second most populous city and the fourth most populous metropolitan area in the state of Alabama, and is the county seat of Montgomery County. It is located southeast of the center of the state, in the Gulf Coastal Plain. The city population was 201,568 as of the 2000 census. Montgomery is the primary city of the Montgomery Metropolitan Statistical Area, which had a 2000 population of 346,528, making it the fourth largest in the state.
Today, in addition to housing many Alabama government agencies, Montgomery has a large military presence due to Maxwell Air Force Base, high-tech manufacturing including Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama and cultural attractions like the Alabama Shakespeare Festival and Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts.
Montgomery's central location in Alabama fertile "black belt" makes it a processing hub for crops such as cotton, peanuts, and soybeans. Montgomery has long had large metal fabrication and lumber production sectors. Due to its location along the Alabama River and extensive rail connections, Montgomery has and continues to be a regional distribution hub for a wide range of industries. Today, the city's Gross Metropolitan Product is $12.15 billion, representing 8.7% of the Gross State Product of Alabama.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics data from October 2008, the largest sectors of non-agricultural employment were: Government, 24.3%; Trade, Transportation, and Utilities, 17.3% (including 11.0% in retail trade); Professional and Business Services, 11.9%; Manufacturing, 10.9%; Education and Health Services, 10.0% (including 8.5% in Health Care & Social Assistance); Leisure and Hospitality, 9.2%; Financial Activities, 6.0%, Natural Resources, Mining and Construction, 5.1%; Information, 1.4%; and Other services 4.0%. Unemployment for the same period was 5.7%, 2.5% higher than October 2007. The city also draws in workers from the surrounding area; Montgomery's daytime population rises 17.4% to 239,101.
- ""Montgomery city, Alabama - Fact Sheet"". "American Fact Finder". http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFFacts?_event=ChangeGeoContext&geo_id=16000US0151000&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US01%7C16000US0150000&_street=&_county=montgomery&_cityTown=montgomery&_state=04000US01&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=010&_submenuId=factsheet_1&ds_name=DEC_2000_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null®=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=. Retrieved 2008-05-05.
- Population in Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas, U.S. Census Bureau, Census 2000 and 1990 Census, December 30, 2003, http://www.census.gov/population/cen2000/phc-t29/tab01a.csv, retrieved 2008-09-20
- The Role of Metro Areas in the U.S. economy, U.S. Conference of Mayors, March 1, 2006, http://usmayors.org/metroeconomies/Top100_2006.pdf, retrieved 2009-01-05
- Montgomery, AL Economy at a Glance, Bureau of Labor Statistics, December 19, 2008, http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.al_montgomery_msa.htm, retrieved 2009-01-05
- Montgomery, Alabama (AL) Detailed Profile, city-data.com, http://www.city-data.com/city/Montgomery-Alabama.html, retrieved 2008-01-05
 See also