St. Louis, Missouri
St. Louis encompasses an independent city in the U.S. state of Missouri (the "City of St. Louis") and its metropolitan area (Greater St. Louis). This area includes counties in the states of Missouri and Illinois; it is the 18th largest in the United States with a population of 2,698,672 as of the 2000 census. According to the St. Louis Regional Chamber and Growth Association (RCGA), the 2004 population is approximately 2,764,054.
The city, which is named after Louis IX of France, is adjacent to, but not part of, St. Louis County, Missouri and has a population of 352,572. It is the second largest city in Missouri after Kansas City, but it has the state's largest metropolitan area population. In relation to the Midwest region, the City of St. Louis is the 10th largest city in population (between Minneapolis, Minnesota and Wichita, Kansas).
 The local economy
St. Louis punches above its weight as a center for corporate headquarters. Beer commercials have made the city well known as the home of Anheuser-Busch Breweries. Two local brokerages, A.G. Edwards and Edward Jones, as well as online brokerage Scottrade, have grown into dominant players on America's financial landscape. It is also the site for the headquarters of Energizer, the battery company. Neighboring suburbs host Monsanto, formerly a chemical company and now a leader in genetically modified crops, and Solutia, the former Monsanto chemical division that was spun off as a separate company in 1997. Express Scripts, a pharmaceutrical benefits management firm, has its corporate headquarters in the suburbs of St. Louis and recently announcd plans to construct its new headquarters near the campus of the University of Missouri-St. Louis. Hardee's corporate headquarters lies in the metro area. Enterprise Rent-A-Car is headquartered in Clayton. Emerson Electric is headquartered in the north side of St. Louis. Charter Communications, the nation's fourth largest broadband communications company, is headquartered in the St. Louis suburb of Town and Country.
In recent years, however, several longtime corporate pillars have left St. Louis. St. Louis was the corporate headquarters of McDonnell-Douglas prior to its 1997 merger with Boeing. Upon the merger, the area became the headquarters for Boeing's $27 billion-per-year Integrated Defense Systems division and its company-wide Phantom Works R&D operation. Locally, Boeing manufactures the F/A-18 Super Hornet and JDAM smart bombs, and has developed — at times secretly — several unmanned combat air vehicles (UCAVs). However, when Boeing relocated its corporate headquarters from Seattle, Washington in 2001, it moved to Chicago, Illinois — St. Louis was not one of the final candidates.
Source - Wikipedia: St. Louis, Missouri
 Recent St. Louis business news
Links to recent headlines via Topix.net
- Automotive Mechanic
- Thank you for your interest in the Automotive Mechanic. To begin the application process, please enter your information below.
- A White Son Of Ferguson On Why St. Louis Can't Change
- I am a son of Dellwood, Castle Point, Moline Acres, Jennings, St. Ann, Riverview Gardens, Northwoods and Normandy and north St. Louis County. I am a St. Louis native.
- Arch Grants finalists to pitch, OPO launch: St. Louis tech events
- Integrating Social Media With Your Business and Its Culture: 5 p.m. at SCORE Kirkwood Office, 333 S. Kirkwood Road. Head over to this workshop to learn about how you can use social media to create a following and spread the word about your business.
- Learn more about concealed carry law in the workplace
- "Concealed Carry in Illinois: What HR Needs to Know" will be explored at Aurora University at 8 a.m. Thursday, May 7. The university's Human Resource Institute, a bimonthly seminar, will host the program at the school's Orchard Center, 2245 Sequoia Drive, Suite 301. Admission is free.
- JLL Names New Leader for St. Louis Market
- JLL recently chose David Steinbach as its new office leader for the St. Louis market. Steinbach succeeds his longtime business partner, Lynn Schenck , who has stepped down from that position to focus on select client opportunities.
- Eagle Bank Opens Entrepreneur Service Center in Cortex
- PRLog - May 4, 2015 - ST. LOUIS -- Eagle Bank and Trust has opened an Entrepreneur Service Center in the Cortex located at 4240 Duncan Avenue in St. Louis City.
- The Saint Louis University's Master of International Business Is Now Enrolling For Fall 2015
- Attend an information session for the Master of International Business degree to learn about achieving personal and business success in today's global economy. Gain the competence and confidence needed to manage the intricacies of international business.
- Black mothers wonder if their lost babies are still alive
- SpaceX is just days away from shooting up a crew capsule to test a launch escape system designed to save astronauts' lives. Federal prosecutors have announced a court proceeding involving the 2013 traffic jams on the George Washington Bridge, an investigation that has loomed over New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as he considers a... Three former allies of Gov. Chris Christie were charged Friday in the George Washington Bridge traffic scandal that has cast a long shadow over Christie's 2016 White House prospects, and one of them pleaded guilty.