As part of this year’s (2019) National Small Business Week (NSBW), the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) and SCORE will co-host the second annual NSBW Online Conference from May 7 – 8, 2019. The conference will include educational webinars presented by NSBW cosponsors, virtual exhibit booths, and a networking room where business owners have an opportunity to connect with a mentor — all online.
The virtual exhibit hall and networking areas will be open from 11:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m. ET daily. The webinar registration is currently open, and each virtual session will be available on demand thereafter. The event is free of charge, but registration is required.
National Small Business Week, 2019
Online, Virtual Conference Schedule
The U.S. Economic Outlook and Its Impact on Small Businesses
Presented by Visa | May 7, 2019 | 11:00 a.m.– 12:00 p.m.
Visa’s Principal U.S. Economist, Michael Brown, will provide an in-depth analysis of the current state of the U.S. economy with a focus on the trends impacting the small business sector. Specific issues:
- Economic update: An outlook through 2020 focusing on key macroeconomic variables influencing the consumer, including income growth, the labor market, consumer spending, the housing market, interest rates, and potential risks.
- Small business outlook: How are businesses feeling and which industries are expanding?
- The great recession, great expectations: Many remember the last economic downturn with its widespread impact on the consumer sector, but the next recession will likely be different. Looking ahead, the expected impact of the next downturn on consumer spending and geographies will also be explored.
SBA Funding Programs Explained
Presented by SBA’s Office of Capital Access | May 7, 2019 |12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Start or expand your business with loans guaranteed by the SBA. This webinar, presented by SBA’s Deputy Associate Administrator for the Office of Capital Access, John Miller, will explain the Agency’s funding programs and how small businesses can benefit from them. Participant takeaways will include:
- Familiarity with the SBA’s loan programs 7(a), 504 and Microloans
- How to apply for an SBA loan
- Lender Match – matching borrowers to SBA lenders
The Culture Imperative: Drive Growth with Customer Obsession
Presented by Chase | May 7, 2019 | 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Business growth is of the utmost importance to all small business owners. But did you know customer experience is the new battleground for business growth and sustainable small business success starts with the people inside? Webinar by researcher and entrepreneur Ryan Estis. Participant takeaways will include: you will learn to drive business growth by:
- Understanding how fast customer expectations are changing, what today’s consumer wants and how to deliver a differentiated experience to drive business growth
- Exploring tactical methods to improve the talent lifecycle including recruiting, on-boarding, performance management and elevating employee engagement
- Understanding how to cultivate a high-performance culture and embrace the opportunity to improve the lives of all the stakeholders you serve
Creating Effective Online Ads
Presented by Google | May 7, 2019 | 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Discover how online ads can help your business connect to new customers, promote special offers and grow brand awareness. Join speaker and trainer with the Grow with Google Partners Program, Matt Weber, for this introductory session that will explore the foundations of display and search advertising, including where your ads can appear and how to measure results. You’ll learn:
- The basics of display and search ads
- How to write a clear, compelling calls to action
- Tips for choosing the conversions you want to measure
Making Sense of Online Marketing: A Simple Checklist for Success
Presented by Constant Contact | May 8, 2019 | 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
The idea of getting your business online can often feel scary and even confusing. With so many moving parts, figuring out what to do and how to do it presents a unique challenge for time-starved small business owners. Don’t worry, once you understand how it all works together you can stop wasting time and focus on the things that benefit your business. Led by Director of Content Marketing at Constant Contact, Dave Charest. Focused on foundational elements to help you get the word out about your business. In this session you’ll learn how to:
- Get people to find you online
- Set yourself up for success
- Encourage new and repeat business
How to do Business with the Federal Government
Presented by the SBA’s Office of Government Contracting and Business Development | May 8, 2019 | 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.
The key to doing business with the federal government utilizing SBA’s programs is understanding how they fit for you. This webinar, presented by Francine Morris with the SBA, will give you an overview of the Agency’s small business program eligibilities and additional small business tools to assist in gaining access to federal procurements. In this session you will:
- Understand SBA’s small business government contracting and business development programs
- Know how to market your business and identify federal opportunities
- Distinguish between prime and subcontracting relationships
- Learn about what resources are available to assist you
Mastering Control of Your Cash Flow
Presented by Square | May 8, 2019 | 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Cash flow is the life blood of a business. And yet, 49% of small business owners say cash flow concerns keep them up at night. This informative webinar presented by the head of marketing for Square, Ed Lin, who will help you find smart ways to manage your business’s cash flow and access capital to help it keep running smoothly. You’ll learn how to:
- Get a better grasp of your cash flows
- Understand your funding options
- Evaluate business loan offers
Disasters Happen – How to Prepare Your Business and Recover
Presented by the SBA’s Office of Disaster Assistance | May 8, 2019 | 3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
It’s not a question of if, but when the next disaster will strike. Is your business prepared for the next major disaster event such as a hurricane, flood, tornado, earthquake, or wildfire?This webinar, presented by Alex Contreras with the SBA, will provide tips on basic steps you should take to prepare, recover and mitigate so that your business is resilient. Participant takeaways will include:
- How to make preparedness a priority
- Lessons learned from recent disaster events
- How the SBA Disaster Loan Program can help
- Other forms of assistance for businesses
- Mitigation saves lives, property and your investment