For some types of businesses, especially those in the business-to-business services arena, having a LinkedIn Company Page can be more important than having a presence on a consumer-oriented networking platform like Facebook. Available free to any business, it allows you to tell your business story, engage in conversations with customers or clients, share career opportunities and relay updates about company information.
First Things First
In order to have a Company Page, you must first have a personal LinkedIn account. It’s quick and easy to sign up–and is free. However, LinkedIn will immediately start promoting a paid version of an account. You also need to meet certain guidelines for a company page, such as having a company email address and already having existing connections on LinkedIn–for example employees or former employees who have indicated a connection with your firm.
How to Create a Company Page
1. While logged into your account, click on the Home tab and select Companies on the Interests pull-down menu.
2. On the right side of the page, look for the box labeled “Create a Company Page” and click on the “Create” button.
3. Follow the instructions to verify your authority to create a page for your business.
Note: For your company page to be published, you must provide a verified email address, include a company description between 250 and 2000 characters and provide a company web address (URL).
Quick tips for managing your company page
To get the most out of your Company Page, do the following:
- Include all the information possible in your business description.
- Provide links to your website and your presence on all major social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
- Update the page when you add new posts to a company blog
- Keep the page up to date with information about job openings and company milestones
- Check in to your page regularly to see who is viewing it
- Encourage employees and former employees to link to it
- Encourage people to “follow” the page
Tips from LinkedIn on how to set up and use a company page
For more information on creating and managing a LinkedIn Company Page, visit the site’s Company Page resource section.