The subject lines of the most visited pages on SmallBusiness.com start with the three-word question, “How do I…?” If you have such a question, please e-mail it to [email protected] and we may answer it in an article like this one we received about starting a bicycle shop.
Some “start here” suggestions from NBDA
- Spend time reviewing all the resources you can find about small business basics.
- Research and build a sound business plan.”
- Planning, organizational skills, and high energy are prerequisites for success in the bicycle business.
Financial management can be challenging in a low-margin, highly competitive industry, and studies show the most profitable shops today deliver excellence while also controlling costs.
Studies show the most profitable shops today deliver excellence while also controlling costs. An average break-even point of 37% in a world where bike margins are 36% or less, is a prescription for financial strain.
Average expenses for specialty, independent, bicycle retailers
The following is from the NBDA Cost of Doing Business Survey, expressed as a percentage of gross annual sales)
Recommend additional resources
- The NBDA Cost of Doing Business Survey, from the NBDA for $150 ($75 for NBDA members). Detailed financial study of bicycle retailing, complete with average costs, profit margins and more.
- The Bicycle Retailer and Industry News Industry Directory, from Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, www.bicycleretailer.com, or phone 949-206-1677.
- Interbike Trade Expo, held in September in Las Vegas, Nevada, Web site: www.interbike.com. This show is open to the trade only and for 2013 invited consumers.
- Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, 25431 Cabot Rd., Suite 204, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, 949-206-1677. Internet: www.bicycleretailer.com
- Outspokin’, member newsletter from the NBDA.
National Bicycle Dealers Association (NBDA)
806 S. Public Rd #201
Lafayette, CO 80026
Twenty percent of business owners under-30 say they started a business “to make a difference in the world.”
We tend to overestimate the effect of a new technology in the short run and underestimate the effect in the long run.
Here are some “how-tos” that will show you how to turn-down or shut off location data from your mobile device. But think twice before you do.
The U.S. Code of federal statutes contains the term “small business” 1,034 times. Terms like microbusiness or biz are mentioned nowhere in the code.
A multi-part investigation of an obscure New York law that enables a loan company to sue certain small businesses — and win — with little the business can do to fight back.
From Thanksgiving Day through Cyber Monday, more than 165 million Americans shopped in stores and online.
2018 sets new records for Small Business Saturday
What are 2018’s favorite toys?