By the numbers
- Etsy was founded in June 2005
- Etsy has 1.4 million active sellers (year end, 2014)
- Etsy has 19.8 million active buyers (at least one purchase in the past year)
- Priced initially at $16 a share, the stock finished the day at $30, up 87.50%.
- The offering raised about $267 million by selling 16.7 million shares.
- By the end of the day Thursday, Etsy had a market valuation of $3.3 billion.
Recognizing the vendors’ role in Etsy’s success
Noting that its vendors have played a vital role in its success, Etsy set aside 5% of its stock for it vendors to purchase before its public float. Typically shut out from access to such an offering (as are all retail investors in such a popular IPO), the Etsy vendors had the opportunity to purchase up to $2,500 in Etsy stock at the $16 pricing. The bank handling the IPO even waved for the vendors the customary account and transfer fees associated with the purchase of pre-float stock.