Even in this era of shoppers shifting their purchasing preferences online, a new survey commissioned by UPS and conducted by ComScore reveals that 93% of shoppers say they prefer local and small retailers.
Earlier this year, 5,000 U.S. consumers were surveyed by ComScore for the fourth annual UPS Pulse of the Online Shopper survey. In an interesting twist, this year UPS included some questions about shopping at local businesses in their survey about online shopping.
Why shoppers prefer local and small retailers
In addition to being able to find the unique and hard to find items in small shops, there remains an interest in supporting the local community. Additionally, some shoppers simply like to be the first to sample new retailers.
Reasons given by survey respondents for why they like to shop at small and local retailers. (More than one reason allowed):
- 61% They offer unique product
- 49% I couldn’t find what I needed from traditional sources
- 40% I want to support the community or small businesses 29% I like to try new retailers
- 26% They feature a broader assortment
- 24% They provide innovative shopping experience