This post is part of the series, SmallBusiness.com Guide to Disaster Planning and Recovery: Information and resources for small business disaster planning and recovery. You can browse other posts in the series below.
Disasters come in many forms and sizes. And they come no matter what the season. Currently, there are major floods and major fires impacting small businesses in different parts of the U.S.
While you can’t change the weather, you can prepare for it and other types of emergencies. One way is to download the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) app for your smartphone or tablet device. (Links to the apps below.)
FEMA App features
- Alerts from the National Weather Service | Receive severe weather alerts for up to five locations across the U.S. and see information about how to stay safe.
- Disaster Reporter | Upload and share photos of damage and recovery efforts.
- Maps of disaster resources | Locate and receive driving directions to open shelters and disaster recovery centers.
- Apply for assistance | Easily access DisasterAssistance.gov to apply for federal disaster assistance.
- Custom emergency safety information | Save a custom list of the items in your family’s emergency kit, as well as the places you will meet in case of an emergency.
- Safety tips | Receive safety and preparedness reminders and learn how to stay safe before, during, and after over 20 types of hazards, including floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and earthquakes.
- Information in Spanish | Easily toggle between English and Spanish for all features of the app.
Promotional video via FEMA.gov