You’re about to learn that something you once thought was difficult—starting a blog—is actually quite easy. We’re going to show you how to set up and manage a blog for your business in seven easy steps. But before we get to the “How,” let’s take a moment to answer a more important question: “Why?”
- Name your blog and register its domain name (web address).
- Choose a blog platform.
- Choose a web host.
- Connect your domain name to your blog.
- Design your blog.
- Publish your first post.
- Promote that post and publish your second post, etc.
Why does your business need a blog?
The people who operate successful small businesses don’t sit back and wait on customers to show up. Successful small business owners and managers spend part of every day reaching out to their current and potential customers. Today, that outreach can include social media, a well-designed website and even an email newsletter campaign. But one of the most versatile and effective marketing tools a small business owner can use is a blog.
Why? While a website is a great brochure-like tool, making a blog a central part of your marketing strategy keeps your business in constant contact with the audiences most important to you.
If you’re a retailer or restaurant owner or another type of merchant whose business is associated with a physical location, you know how much the design and appearance of your physical location can play a part in marketing your business. For many people, that location will be your business. A blog can play the same role for your business—online. It will become the online location where conversations take place and enduring relationships are created and nurtured.
Things you’ll learn from this guide that will amaze you
- How easy and fast it is to set up a blog. (Takes less than an hour.)
- You DON’T NEED computer programming or coding skills.
- You DON’T NEED to spend much money on expensive software or design services.
- You DON’T NEED previous experience with blogging or even writing.
You’ll learn that it takes only seven easy steps to start a blog
- How to name a blog and register its domain name address
- How to choose a blog platform
- How to choose a web host
- How to connect your domain name to your blog
- How to design your blog
- How to publish a post
- How to promote your blog
About this guide
If you are reading this on a laptop or desktop computer, you should see a table of contents on the right-hand column. If you’d like to jump ahead or go back to a previous step, just click on the subject.
If you are reading this on a smaller screen, scroll down and you’ll find the table of contents.
Need more help?
The contents of this guide were developed and sponsored by GoDaddy.
It may include opinions other than those of SmallBusiness.com.