No matter which hosting company you choose, you’ll want to know how to connect your domain name to your blog. As an example, you may use this tutorial to learn how to connect your blog to a domain hosted on GoDaddy’s WordPress hosting service.
The SmallBusiness.com Guide to Starting a Blog is sponsored and provided by GoDaddy.
- Name your blog and register its domain name (web address).
- Choose a blog platform.
- Choose a web host.
- Connect your domain name to your blog.
- Design your blog.
- Publish your first post.
- Promote that post and publish your second post, etc.
Login to your GoDaddy account.
(Note: If you own several domains, you will see the List View of your account. If you see List View, follow instructions for manually forward or mask your domain
- Next to domains, click Manage.
- On the domain you want to set up, click either Use My Domain (if domain is newly registered) or Add Website.
- Click Connect to an Existing Site.
- Choose from one of the following options to point your domain name to:
- Websites (Tumblr, Squarespace, Weebly, etc.),
- Social Sites (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.)
- Online Stores (Shopify, Etsy, etc.)
- Media Sites (Flickr, YouTube, etc.)
- Any Website (enter the URL of your choosing)
Once you choose a forwarding destination, simply follow the instructions, either by clicking on the Connect Domain button or entering the correct website URL.
It may take 24-48 hours for your domain to connect to an existing site.
Video | Connect a domain name to your blog
Need more help?
GoDaddy, the sponsor and provider of this guide, always has friendly helpers standing by who can chat online or talk on the phone 24/7 at: (480) 505-8877.
Step 5 | Design your blog
The contents of this guide were developed and sponsored by GoDaddy.
It may include opinions other than those of SmallBusiness.com.